Catholic Social Teaching (also known as Catholic Social Doctrine) sums up the teachings of the Church on social justice issues. It promotes a vision of a just society that is grounded in the Sacred Scriptures and in the wisdom gathered from experience by the Christian community as it has responded to social, economic, and political issues throughout history.
ECTS Credits: 3
Professor: Fr Alejandro Crosthwaite OP
Educational achievements :
At the end of this course, students will have:
- Excellent foundation for continuing their studies
- Acquired experience and confidence in reading, comprehension and text analysis.
- Students will be able to use it in other courses or projects.
Evaluation methods :
Students will be providing a written assignment (between 3 and 5 pages) by treating a subject to choose from those proposed.
- At Home in the Web of Life: A Pastoral Message on Sustainable Communities in Appalachia Celebrating the 20th Anniversary of THIS LAND IS HOME TO ME from the Catholic Bishops of Appalachia. Webster Springs, WV: Catholic Committee of Appalachia, 1995
- Byers, David M., Justice in the Marketplace: Collected Statements of the Vatican and the U.S. Catholic Bishops on Economic Policy, 1891-1984.Washington, DC: United States Catholic Conference, 19845.
- Flannery, Austin, ed., Vatican Council II: The Basic Sixteen Documents. Northport, NY: Costello Publishing Co., 1996.
- Gremillion, Joseph, ed., The Gospel of Peace and Justice: Catholic Social Teaching since Pope John. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1976.
- Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church. United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, 2004. (<http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/justpeace/documents/rc_pc_justpeace_ doc_20060526_compendio-dott-soc_en.html>)
- Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, The Social Agenda: A Collection of Magisterial Texts. Edited by Robert A. Sirico & Maciej Zieba. Vatican City: Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2000. (<http://www.thesocialagenda.org/pdfs/english.pdf>.)