The notion of human rights refers to the norms, basic rights and freedom that protect people from political, economic, legal, and social abuses or unjustified infringements. There is clearly a profuse assertion of rights which individuals, groups and institutions make. Today, people encounter claims of rights frequently and in a greater variety than before. The main aim of this section is to help one understand the concept of “rights”. Having dealt with the notion of “rights” itself, this section will explore the categories and forms of rights in general. The section will conclude by discussing the concept of human rights.
Course code: DRT032
The notion of human rights refers to the norms, basic rights and freedoms that protect people from political, economic, legal, and social abuses or unjustified infringements. Although the idea of human rights is arguably a recent phenomenon in Africa, it has become a key issue across academic disciplines. This course seeks to introduce one to the concept of the human rights system in Africa, and some of the related violations and abuses. The course also examines the promotion and protection of human rights from the perspective of human rights organisations, the media and religion.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- be familiar with the concept of rights, as well as other related elements such as the categories and forms of rights;
- understand the concept of human rights with reference to the African situation and experience;
- be familiar with the African human rights system and the key principles, pronouncements and declarations underlying it;
- have a better sense of the relevant critical issues concerning human rights violations and abuses in Africa;
- appreciate the role of human rights organisations and institutions, the media and religion in the promotion and protection of human rights in Africa;
- be familiar with the scholarly and media literature on human rights in Africa
Table of contents
Section I: Understanding the Concept of Rights
Section II: African Human Rights System
Section III: Human Rights Violations and Abuses
Section IV: Promotion and Protection of Human Rights