African Church History.
We will not engage on a history of the missionary movement in Africa but rather on a history of indigenous forms of Christianity – that is to say the forms of life inspired by Christianity that were accepted, adapted and spread by Africans.
Course code: THEN101Professor: Philippe Denis
Table of content
PART 1 Introduction to the history of Christianity in southern Africa
- The padroādo era
- Failed attempts and missionary breakthroughs
- Colonialism and mission
- Post-independence Christianity
- Selected Bibliography
PART 2 ASPECTS OF SOUTHERN AFRICAN CHRISTIAN HISTORY
- Early Portuguese missions in South-East Africa (16th-19th centuries)
- Towards segregation: the Dutch reformed church and the native in the 19Th Century
- A controversial bishop: John William Colenso
- Beginnings of the Catholic Church in the Cape colony
- The Christian Response to Apartheid in South Africa