African Church History.
We will not engage on a history of the missionary movement in Africa but rather on a history of indigenous forms of Christianity – that is to say the forms of life inspired by Christianity that were accepted, adapted and spread by Africans.
ECTS Credits:Professor: Philippe Denis
Table of content
PART 1 Introduction to the history of Christianity in southern Africa
1. The padroādo era
2. Failed attempts and missionary breakthroughs
3. Colonialism and mission
4. Post-independence Christianity
5. Selected Bibliography
PART 2 ASPECTS OF SOUTHERN AFRICAN CHRISTIAN HISTORY
1. Early Portuguese missions in South-East Africa (16th-19th centuries)
2. Towards segregation: the Dutch reformed church and the native in the 19Th Century
3. A controversial bishop: John William Colenso
4. Beginnings of the Catholic Church in the Cape colony
5. The Christian Response to Apartheid in South Africa